Elnita McClain Women’s Center

We are an International Ministry

10th Episcopal District WMS
Elnita McClain Women's Center

  • 1959 – The Open Door Christian Society was formed by Mr. Stephen and Mrs. Elnita McClain
  • 1991 – Mrs. Elnita McClain donated the house to the 10th District Women's Missionary Society under the leadership of Episcopal Supervisor Rev. Cecilia Bryant.
  • 1992 – Bishop John Bryant and Rev. Cee dedicated the house as the 10th District WMS Retreat House.
  • 1993 – An official Board of Directors was formed and the house was officially named the Elnita McClain Women's Center.
  • 1993 1998 Various activities e.g. workshops, bible study, etc. were held on the lower levels of the house after moderate renovation was done.
  • 2008 – With the blessings of Supervisor Rev. Jessica Ingram, a local Board of Directors was organized to implement programs and services through the Elnita McClain Women’s Center under the leadership of the Episcopal District WMS 2nd Vice President, Shamra Hodge
  • 2012 –Under the Episcopal Leadership of Bishop Vashti Murphy McKenzie and Supervisor Stan McKenzie, the center provides ongoing health and social awareness programs and offers shared office space for collaborative social service agencies.
    WMS Conference Presidents

Mrs. Elnita McClain10/13/1905 – 07/07/1995

Lucy M. Hughes

Mrs. Elnita McClain was a compassionate missionary and member of Wesley Chapel AME Church, Houston. She was a woman of faith who selflessly worked to meet the needs of the least, the last and the lost in the Houston community for over 50 years.

Elnita McClain Women’s Center
Annual Go Red Luncheon & Fashion Show- February 2017

Go Red Luncheon

Models Showing Beautiful Red Fashions

Sister Organizations in Mission

Some Attendees – Fashionably Dressed in Red

World AIDS Day